Friday, March 6, 2015

Lessons from Winter

“Getting through the winter OK?”  Greetings such as these have become the norm for New England residents throughout the epic winter of 2015!  I have always thought that one of the best things about living in New England is the change of seasons.  I have enjoyed each season for all that it offers; the warmth and garden bounty of the summer; the colors and smells of the fall; holidays and beauty of a snow covered landscape in the winter and the new beginnings and growth of the spring.  There is no doubt that this record-setting winter has challenged these beliefs! Daily tasks and routines are so much more difficult with 4 feet of snow on the ground!  Even simple tasks like walking the dog and putting out the trash have required more effort, energy and time to complete. As the winter has progressed, I have noticed that my natural impulse to fight against these discomforts and inconveniences only leaves me more tired and frustrated.  Gradually, I have begun to accept the need to slow down and take extra time going about my day. 

The side benefit of slowing down is becoming more tuned into my physical environment and to my senses.  For example, I have recently noticed some early signs of spring.  I have sensed the days lengthening, the sun rising earlier in the morning and lingering later in the day.  I’ve noticed puddles and rivulets of water from melting snow signaling temperatures above the freezing mark.  Bird sounds have increased in the early morning and my dog has definitely noticed more activity from our local squirrel population.  I even smelled a skunk the other night, not normally a sensation I welcome or enjoy, but in this instance, I viewed it as another sign that the season was beginning to turn.  When walking my dog at night, temperatures have changed from 2 to 22 degrees; trust me, it makes all the difference in the world! On those same walks, I have noticed the stars brightly shining against the dark of the night sky.  I have realized that I am looking forward to spring with an enthusiasm and joy that I have not noticed in prior years.  I am imagining my crocuses beginning to stir under the soil, under the mounds of snow. I am anticipating the bloom of these and other early spring flowers, hopefully sometime this month! 

The opportunity to slow down this winter has offered me a lesson in mindfulness. I have practiced experiencing the present moment - my thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations, with curiosity and without judgment.  The research is clear about mindfulness practices (meditation, yoga, etc.) and their positive impact on stress and anxiety and it is a concept I often teach to students. When teaching Nipmuc students to be mindful, I encourage them to really tune into their senses, or their breath.  I encourage them to be mindful as they go about their daily routines, slowing down, engaging their senses and really being aware of their experience. During a recent Advisory lesson, I asked students to see, touch, hear and finally taste a raisin or Hershey’s kiss, to truly engage all of their senses in this simple activity.  Some students enjoy this type of practice, others struggle with it and that’s OK.  For myself, it took years for me to even begin to try to incorporate mindfulness practices into my daily life and this continues to be a work in progress.  As the winter winds down, I encourage all of you to try some mindfulness activities throughout your day.  One simple way is to spend some time outside in nature!  The days are slowly but surely getting warmer, so get outside, and be aware of the sights, sounds and smells that herald spring’s arrival!

For additional reading on the benefits of meditation and mindfulness, and for ways to incorporate mindful practices into your daily life, please see links below.



No comments:

Post a Comment